scribeland meanderings

From Kaikoura to Kamakura, from Takapuna to Takayama, from Whangarei to Wakkanai... or adventures in NZ, Japan and beyond...

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Hong Kong - gateway to Europe

Chris and I are on our way to London. This is the first proper international transit on an international airline we've had together, all our other adventures having come courtesy of Jetstar or other budget airlines (no meals, no entertainment and certainly no good quality plastic cutlery to steal for picnics). I've done the big Euro trip before, but not for a long time, and obviously never with Chris. As John Travolta's character in Pulp Fiction notes - 'it's the little differences'. Here I could note being woken at an unreasonable hour to eat 'supper' and then, not too long after in the scheme of things, 'breakfast', and feeling stuffed to the gills as I curled into complementary blankets and pillows. It's the feeling that, in a bigger aircraft, you aren't getting shaken around quite as much as you would in Mr Budget airliner. Of course, one great thing about being in transit in a place like Hong Kong is the free unlimited internet access while we wait at the gate.

Another difference entirely unrelated to the choice of destination and airline is that I am pregnant. More news on how that's going later, but I have discovered that Chris and I can no longer curl over, one on the other's lap, the other on the other's back, to sleep in a tight space - my growing gut just won't allow it. Apart from that, things seem to be going well. He's kicking around a fair bit and seems to be appreciating me shovelling airline food indiscriminately into my mouth and, by proxy, his.

HK looks exciting from the floor to ceiling glass windows of the transit lounge - mountainous, watery, neon-lit. We'll be here for three days at the end of our holiday, and we're looking forward to what can only be described as yum-cha-arama. At present though, we're looking forward to our next destination - London, where old friends will be met, familiar sites will be seen, and I will enjoy filtering it all through the new perspective of someone who has never been - Chris. I can't wait to hear what he thinks of it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home